Monday, August 25, 2008

To Have and To Get Rid Of...

Getting our place "ready" for the baby might prove more demanding than we originally thought. It shouldn't be so amazing how much stuff you can amass in a fairly short time, but unfortunately it is. We are under the impression a lot of our stuff is actually worth saving, for one reason or another, but after yesterday I feel some tougher decisions are needed so we can create space for our new "roomie."

We've gotten better at weeding out clothing we don't wear anymore and donating it a few times a year, but as far as STUFF goes we seem to be a lot less ready to just "let go" of these possessions. Big things, like furniture (desk, bookcase) are harder to say "We don't need it" but I wish we were in a better way economically to have pieces that matched and/or were better suited for our uses. Smaller things, like many of the books on those bookshelves, can/should/will be dealt with. While there might be certain books that are important to me, like my Kerouac or Kafka collections, many of the unopened "classics" we own probably will stay unopened. Sure, it's nice to have those books, but now with the kid coming I'd much rather use those open spaces for the children's books we're suddenly amassing.

I have a box of cables and wires that baffles my wife but I can't seem to let go of them; the old "just-in-case" factor coming into play. I have to realize that most components now come with their own cables or a new component would be replacing something else and therefore just use the current cable. It's that sort of logic we sometimes lack, but I feel is so needed now that there will be three of us in an apartment.

The big concern I voiced before bed last night wasn't so much the space that would be afforded to us if we got rid of stuff, but that our place is so baby un-friendly. Like our government, maybe if I use the power of FEAR to SCARE us into getting rid of our HARMFUL stuff we will finally part with most of it, haha...

2 comments:

Surfer Jay said...

Ahh sacrifice, the stuff families are made of.

My Lilly decided to move us to a new pad at six months pregnant. Talk about getting ready for baby...

Doesn't it just suck having to get rid of our treasured toys to make room? My clothes closet is still chock full of all the stuff Lilly wanted me to remove or get rid of to empty the boys room.

My boy is three months and my house is still not kid friendly. I figured it doesn't really matter untill he starts crawling or walking anyway, so I'm getting it done slowly as he ages.

In your various posts you have touched upon many feelings and concerns in which I have had prior to The Boy and now after. Preparing for a major event such as this is a extraordinarily terribly wonderfull event, maybe. Good times.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with the box of mystery cables. I have, like, three of them. And I'm too afraid to get rid of any.